Seventeen people are dead after a restaurant in Burkina Faso’s capital was attacked by gunmen.
Witnesses said that three gunmen pulled up in a 4×4 at the Aziz Istanbul restaurant in Ouagadougou at around 9.30pm on Sunday local time.
They then started shooting at people sitting outside.
A witness saw people running out of the restaurant as police and paramilitary forces surrounded it.
The victims were of several different nationalities, including at least one French citizen, said Burkina Faso’s communications minister Remi Dandjinou.
At least two people, including one foreigner, have been injured in the attack, according to an AFP journalist in the country.
Mr Dandjinou described it as a “terrorist attack”, although no group has yet claimed to have been behind it.
Islamic extremists attacked another restaurant in Ouagadougou, which is in the centre of the West African country, in January last year, killing 30 people.
There has also been an increase in militant attacks along the northern border with Mali.
Burkina Faso is landlocked and is also one of the world’s poorest nations.
Send news and suggestions to email@example.com