Frank Lampard says fans shouldn’t expect Chelsea to rush straight back into the transfer market now they’re allowed to sign players again.
The Blues’ appeal against their signing ban was lifted last week, but Lampard says he still trusts the young players in his squad.
Speaking at a press conference on Monday, he said:
“You have to be careful not to be too reactionary.
“Ban lifted, lose at Everton it might be easy to come to that conclusion. As much as at the start of the season that we have got these young boys, we don’t need anyone.
“As a club like Chelsea there has to be a balance.
“We have a strong squad, but we have to look at can we strengthen? There will be times going forward, whether it’s January or next summer there will be times and opportunities to strengthen.
“You do learn as you go along with the players, every day in training and at games but it certainly hasn’t changed my mindset right now”.
Sky Sports report that Manchester City are looking to do battle with Chelsea for Bournemouth’s Nathan Ake.
The Londoners had a £40m buyback clause inserted in the Dutch centre-back’s contract when he left them for the Cherries for £20m in 2017, and although they are favourites to sign him after their transfer ban was lifted, City are reportedly monitoring events.
One stumbling block could be the hamstring injury Ake suffered in Saturday’s 3-0 defeat to Liverpool at the Vitality Stadium.