Three weeks restriction on movement implemented in parts of Ghana to curb the spread of COVID-19 has been lifted by President Akufo-Addo.

Three weeks restriction on movement implemented in parts of Ghana to curb the spread of COVID-19 has been lifted by President Akufo-Addo.

The president in a televised address on Sunday, April 19 said the decision was made based on progress in containing the spread of the disease, measures put in place to tackle the disease and the impact of the lockdown on the poor and vulnerable.

READ THIS
Donald Trump worshipper dies after long fasting

Four major cities in the Greater Accra, Ashanti and Central regions had been under lockdown since March 31, following confirmation of 137 cases.

The president at the time said the decision was based on science and data and that future course of action would be determined by these same factors.

Longrich

The ban on mass gatherings and the closure of Ghana’s borders to human traffic, however, remain in force.

READ THIS
#EndSARS: Army launches ‘Crocodile Smile’ against social media and cyberspace propaganda

The announcement has come as a surprise to some who were anticipating an extension or a national lockdown following a spike in the number of confirmed cases across the country.

A total of 1,043 cases have been confirmed as of Sunday, April 19. The majority of cases are in Accra (882) and Kumasi (62). Of the number, 99 persons have recovered and have been discharged while nine have died.


COMMENTS...